The onset of hearing loss often happens gradually, so it might be hard to detect in the early stages. In most cases, people close to or usually around the person with undiagnosed hearing loss are the ones who can notice the hearing problems first. It is important to have an annual hearing evaluation, in the same way it is recommended to have an annual physical, teeth cleaning and eye exam.
If you or someone you know exhibits the following symptoms, consider consulting an audiologist:
- Perception that people are mumbling when speaking to you
- Constantly asking people to repeat themselves
- Playing the TV or radio louder than the volume level that others around you enjoy
- Missing the doorbell or the telephone
- Missing environmental sounds, such as birds chirping, your car turn signal and microwave beepings
- Hearing a ringing sound in your ears, especially when it is quiet